Sojourner Truth Academy Lunch Program

Students are learning good table manners and behavior and participating in our national and local government through a school wide letter campaign. And all this is taking place during lunch!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hooray for books!

I'm so glad that photos of students' activites are posted on the blog! It gives me a glimpse of their activites on the days I'm not there. And I try to picture the students' days. Thanks Nicole!
The third grade had the trophy for manners this week. One of the boys proudly showed it to me. Another picked it up and held it on his shoulder like a baby.
I asked some of the 6th grade boys why they don't write letters. One told me that some kids write them at home. Another told me that it was impossible to catch up to the students who had written lots of letters. A third told me that lunch was his time to be social. Many of the 6th grade boys do play a card game, a role-playing similar to Dungeons and Dragons. That's another conversation for which I wish we'd had more time. I'll look for a chance to pick it up again next week. I'd like to tell the one student that the numbers goal is up to him.
I started lunch on Wednesday with a couple of the 4th grade girls. I noticed a kindergartner being particularly helpful, so I went to find him and give him a purple pride slip. Others at his table invited me to sit with them, so I promised to come back. On the way, I stopped to talk with some other students and by the time I got back, the rest of my lunch had been bussed. At least they're cleaning up. You've got to move quickly to keep up with these students!
I had brought a book on bullying to read to the 2nd grade. They were very engaged, both boys and girls, and wanted to show their knowledge-(things to say and do: Stop! Get away! Tell someone!) They had examples of people in their lives who had been bullied, and from their own experience. some of them have asked if I could read to them every day. I told them, maybe once a week (I'm only there 2 days a week.)
I finished that day with two 5th grade girls(and a second protion of lunch, provided by the very kind lunch ladies Tre and Mai--I hope I've spelled your names correctly). One of the girls stated that the 5th grade was the worst, maybe referring to the fight the previous week. I just listened. this is another conversation I'd like to follow up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment