Sojourner Truth Academy Lunch Program

Students are learning good table manners and behavior and participating in our national and local government through a school wide letter campaign. And all this is taking place during lunch!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

My first week volunteering at Sojourner Truth School

Wow! I've been enjoying meeting lots of students at Sojourner Truth School during my first week as a volunteer lunch mentor. Some of them know me from my job at the public library, where I am a childrens' librarian. I've been learning about the lunch time routine and we are all practising our manners. We also have some books to read with beautiful pictures of the White House in the past and in modern times.
On Wednesday, I had part of my lunch with some of the second grade boys. We started talking about what kinds of things you would say in a letter to the president. One boy asked what the beds in the White House were like. I told him about the Lincoln bedroom, and how tall President Lincoln was, and how he would probably need a big bed. The students then asked me questions about how President Lincoln was shot, and I told them what I knew about the story. It was a very interesting discussion and the students asked good questions.
I will be at Sojourner Truth on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during lunch. I'm looking forward to it!--Ms. Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment