Sojourner Truth Academy Lunch Program

Students are learning good table manners and behavior and participating in our national and local government through a school wide letter campaign. And all this is taking place during lunch!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day President Obama


I have an after school group called "Manners and Government Club." As boring or lame as it might sound, it is actually a lot of fun, and students are frequently requesting to join! I try and remember to smile about that on the more difficult days.

At the beginning of February, I brought supplies in for making Valentine's Day Cards with the M&G Club. The students were so excited when I showed them the GLITTER! Students made Valentine's Cards for their parents and families, and also lots of cards for President Obama. I hung the the ones for President Obama up in the Banquet Hall. (see below)

I do a lot of planning and activities for the program and I find the work very rewarding. However, sometimes I am rewarded by things that I do not plan, which is the MOST rewarding. Does that make sense? Let me explain...

On Friday, February 12, many classes at our school, including the kindergarten class that I work in, had Valentine's Day parties in the afternoon. I was passing out cards to our kindergartners, when two 5th grade boys entered the room and showed me a HUGE Valentine that they had made for President Obama! I was so thrilled by their creativity and so proud of them. At the bottom of their poster, they thanked President Obama for sending us the letters and pictures. It was the best (and only) Valentine's Day I've day I've ever an in Minnesota!

P.S. I sent the Valentine's and the poster to President Obama at the White House on February 15th. A little late, but full of love! Love, Ms. G



No comments:

Post a Comment