Sojourner Truth Academy Lunch Program

Students are learning good table manners and behavior and participating in our national and local government through a school wide letter campaign. And all this is taking place during lunch!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ryan Hollins = Great Man, Great Player

Last Friday, Ryan Hollins from the Minnesota Timberwolves visited Sojourner Truth Academy. The day was magical! Our students had been looking forward to Ryan's visit the entire week. After I showed them the video announcing that Ryan was coming, the responses I got were priceless: "Ms. G, I saw you on that commercial!" "Ms. G, were you really talking to Ryan on the phone?" "Ms. G, you were on TV." "Ms. G, when is Ryan coming?" Most of these responses were from our kindergartners, since that is where I spend most of my time. However, I did get a lot of positive feedback on the video from our 5th graders. They want to help me make another video about our program.

Ryan was scheduled to come at the very end of our day. So, on Friday, I think around 2 p.m., 2 camera crews showed up in advance, along with the PR team for the Timberwolves. The students who were waiting in our lobby area were wide-eyed with huge smiles. FSN sports actually filmed some of their show on our campus! And some of our students got to be part of the broadcast. When I have a link to the video, I will post it.

The students in my after school group did a great job making welcome signs for Ryan, as well as a special reserved parking sign. And a couple days before Ryan's visit, I asked our students to submit questions they might have for Ryan. Many of our students submitted thoughtful questions and I chose 5 of them to read them to Ryan at the assembly. These 5 questions showed both heart and smarts, and were representative of all the questions that came in.

1. What inspires you to play basketball?
2. Who is your idol or hero?
3. What was school like for you? Were you a class clown or a geek?
4. If you were not a basketball player, what other career would you choose?
5. What three things can we do as kids to be successful in the future like you?

So, while our students and teachers finished up the last parts of their day, Ryan finished up practice with the Timberwolves. Our whole school is so grateful to Ryan for making time for our students. He came right after practice, spoke to our students, and then played 35 minutes in Saturday's game and finished with 14 pts, 7 reb. Way to Go Ryan!

When Ryan entered our gym, the students gawked with excitement. Had they ever seen someone 7 feet tall? Had they ever met an NBA player?

I passed the microphone to Ryan and he took over the assembly like a pro. He was charming, captivating, and inspiring. He told his story, how he made it to the NBA. And the true story that he told was not one with an easy path, but one full of hardships, disappointments and Ryan's refusal to give up on his dreams.
He said (paraphrased):

Do you think that I made my high school basketball team my freshman year? No.
Did I believe in myself and my dreams to play in the NBA? Yes
Do you think that I was heavily recruited out of high school by all the big name schools? No.
Did I believe in myself and in my dream to play at UCLA? Yes
Now, when I got to UCLA, do you think I was the best player? (Our students finally caught on, and answered No.)

Ryan continued his story of how he met his challenges with a positive attitude and a steadfast belief in himself. He talked about his father being his hero, and feeling grateful for having his dad in his life. Ryan told our students that if he was not a basketball player, he would probably be a history teacher! (I think all our teachers were thrilled to hear that!) Ryan graduated in 4 years from UCLA with a degree in History. (made the Athletic Director's honor roll in Spring , 2005)

As the school buses began lining up outside, Ryan wrapped up his talk and wished our students well. I then announced to our school that Ryan and the Timberwolves brought us a special gift... 1,000 tickets for the Timberwolves vs. Spurs game on Friday, March 12th at the Target Center, 7 p.m. The entire gym erupted with excitement! We then showed Ryan our "Whose House / Our House!" Cheer and said good-bye.

The day was magical!

It only takes one person to make a lasting impression and make a difference in a child's life. Ryan Hollins was that person for many of our students on Friday. We are so grateful to Ryan and the entire Minnesota Timberwolves organization for the generosity and kindness shown to our school. Ryan is an outstanding role model, athlete, and person. Thank you!

Love, Ms. G

P.S. We were just notified yesterday (Monday), that Ryan Hollins was so touched by our students and their good behavior, that he is going to buy our school brand new basketball hoops! Thank You Ryan! The timing is perfect . . . one of the rims broke yesterday :-)

If you would like to make a donation to our program and help us send students to The White House, please visit GiveMN.








No comments:

Post a Comment