Sojourner Truth Academy Lunch Program

Students are learning good table manners and behavior and participating in our national and local government through a school wide letter campaign. And all this is taking place during lunch!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Yikes!! I finally made it!

I certainly am feeling the generational difference between me and those young enough not to know the world before personal computing as I try to figure out how to get to the blog today. I am embarrassed to tell how long it took me, but now I'm finally here!

Last week was a special week in the hearts of librarians (don't believe I've mentioned it, but I am one). It was Dr. Seuss' birthday, and I brought Green Eggs and Ham to read aloud during lunch. the kindergarteners and second graders enjoyed it very much, and responded enthusiastically to the rhyming scheme. I, of course, enjoy the heck out of reading aloud(speaking of ham) to anyone who will listen! And I want every caring adult in the United States--O.K., the world!--to know what fun it is and how easy it is to read to children. It doesn't have to be dramatic and it doesn't have to be long(10 minutes a day is fine, 20 is better). And it will make children better readers! Try it, it will refresh you!

I told all the students I saw about how much I enjoyed their Black History Month presentations the week before. You should have seen them! From kindergarten on up, they have a great sense of anticipation and pride as they gather on the stage to show their drumming, dancing, singing and reciting knowledge about great leaders to a packed house. And it was most appropriate, I thought, that the older fraternity brothers came and contributed their spirit to the proceedings. Of, course, the credit also belongs to their teachers who work so hard in rehearsal and back stage. Mostly you don't see them, but you see the results of their efforts and attention in how the students smile proudly and scramble intently to get their cues right. My sister was a teacher and did theater with grade school students. You wouldn't believe how much work it takes to get everyone to step on their right foot on cue at the same time!

I asked about the visit from the Timberwolves player went. One student told me that he learned from him how he learned to play basketball and how important it is to think about and make your dreams come true. This was a theme also from the lunch visit with the mayor: how to sit and make a picture of your dream in your mind. I do so enjoy learning from these students.

I must say, even some of the older students who are still figuring out what it means to be a mature person suddenly developed more poise when Minneapolis city council president Babara Johnson visited and had lunch with them. Some of the boys went up and introduced themselves and one table of girls engaged in conversation with her. So good to see this practice happening. I wish they could see themselves as they are practicing this more self-aware, more attentive behavior.

The second graders are still asking for stories! Since they don't always get to write letters, and since they've asked, I will bring more stories. I can't wait!

Fourth grader D., who wrote to President Obama that he wants to see things in stores cost less so that people who don't have homes can afford them, and who asked me to read with him a book about President Obama's campaign the first week I volunteered, has been looking happier at lunch time. I want to send the students like him to Washington to meet the president. Please make a donation today, then read to a child in your life. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment